Saturday 20 April 2013

Homemade Chocolate



Yes you can. Have one that is. These bad boys of bittersweet goodness can be completely sugar free (and if not only contain agave syrup) and will impress your friends no end when you tell them you've made your very own chocolate!




It is so simple and produces such a large amount that it is one of those that I adore to make. Kids will have a blast and parents will love doing it with them because nothing can go wrong! It can be used to dip candied peel in, strawberries and other berries, make a sin-free hot chocolate, add fruit, nuts. Anything you want really!




All you need for this is equal amounts of Cocoa butter and Raw Cocoa Powder. I used 300g and 300g (doh!). Melt the cocoa butter in a bane marie. This is basically where you put water in a saucepan, put a bowl in the saucepan but not touching the water. Put whatever you are trying to melt into the bowl and turn the heat on. Once the water comes to a boil, turn it off.




Once your Cocoa butter has melted (it will look like melted butter) simply add in the Raw Cocoa powder. Take the time to sieve it in otherwise you'll be there far longer trying to get the lumps out!





At this point, you can add Agave Syrup. I adore my chocolate bitter and add just a teeny weeny squeeze but if you like yours a lot sweeter, add more. It is utterly taste dependant so add and try, add and try.
If you do add Agave Syrup, you will notice the consistency gets a lot gloopier and thick and lovely! It will also thicken as it cools.




At this stage either leave it to cool so you can roll it into truffles (dusting with cocoa powder and salt is a fav option of mine) or pouring it in to moulds. If rolling into truffles you will have to go back every 10mins or so to check it hasn't completely solidified! I only had an old ice tray lying around and not really sure if it would work, I gave it a go. Bob is most definitely my Uncle as it worked like a charm!




Or if you want bark type pieces line a flat tray with baking paper and spread the mixture over. I did it this way too and used some apricot kernels as my nut of choice…turned out soooooo good!
Happy making.



There are lots of people making this recipe (all with variations but in general the same) and I should really give them a mention! Sorry I didn't before…..here, here and here.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! Perfect timing, too.

    I have a house full of children this weekend and they love kitchen projects. I am sure they will filp when I tell them we will be making chocolates!
    A big step up from cookies and scones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried it at my home and it is really tasty thank you so much for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad it worked for you and you liked it! Did you do any variations?

    ReplyDelete